Huxley’s alleged killer to face trial
The alleged killer of Sydney man Morgan Huxley will stand trial for murder after waiving his right to a committal hearing.
Daniel Jack Kelsall, 21, is accused of indecently assaulting Mr Huxley and stabbing him to death in Sydney’s north in the early hours of September 8 last year.
The 31-year-old was found by his female flatmate in their Neutral Bay unit, wearing only a T-shirt and allegedly suffering from more than a dozen stab wounds.
Kelsall waived his right to a committal hearing at Sydney’s Central Local Court, where he appeared on Thursday via video link dressed in prison greens and wearing glasses.
It means the kitchen hand will face trial at the NSW Supreme Court on charges of murder, indecent assault and aggravated break and enter.
Kelsall’s lawyer, George Breton, indicated Kelsall will plead not guilty to those charges, and to stealing a mobile phone and a few coins on the night of Mr Huxley’s death.
“He has exercised his right to have those matters determined by a jury,” Mr Breton told reporters outside court.
Kelsall will also plead not guilty to two counts of possessing child pornography, in the form of images police say were found on his personal computer as well as on a hard disk.
That matter will remain in the local court, with a hearing date yet to be set.
Mr Huxley was last seen at around 1.30am on September 8 walking barefoot out of The Oaks Hotel after a nightcap.
Police allege Kelsall followed him home with the intention of having sex with him.
Security footage last captured Mr Huxley talking to a man wearing chef’s pants at a busy intersection near his unit.
Kelsall reportedly worked as an after-hours dish cleaner at the Sydney Cooking School, less than 100 metres away from Mr Huxley’s home.
Mr Breton said Kelsall’s waiving of his right to a committal hearing was just a “procedural matter”.
He reiterated that his client was “settled” in custody and was committed to fighting the charges.
Kelsall will be arraigned in the Supreme Court on August 8.